Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What we had and what we thought we had

When I first learned the meaning of the word grief, I thought it meant the feeling you get when something you loved went away.  It was a long time before I realized that we can grieve what we had and lost as well as what we were never able to have.  I can apply this concept to lots of things.  People who developed disabilities later in life have lots of grief and part of it can be about who they used to be and what they used to have.  In my case, I've grown up not having certain abilities and didn't realize until much later in life what I "should" or could have had.  I have always been very intuitive and I used to think most people functioned as I did when they made decisions and decided how they felt about someone or something.  Having discernment strictly based on logic is very foreign to me.

Because I was born to parents who were substantially older than many parents, I arrived into a family that caused me to be between the generations.  My closest cousins were close to 20 years my senior and even my siblings, who were from a previous marriage, were close to that age difference as well.  One of my paternal aunts, with whom I was very close, died when I was in my late 20's.  My grandmother and my first best friend died before I was in fourth grade.  As my uncles, cousins, other aunts, classmates, and friends have died, I have shifted in the way I relate to life.  I do my best to cherish moments because I know in a very deep way that nothing is promised and life, in this form anyway, is limited.  I miss a lot of biological family who have died.  Friends and acquaintances, many from another time and place, I miss and yet know our parting was meant to be.

The animals I have loved so dearly who have left my care have also changed me.  Some have died due to old age, illness, by assistance of a veterinarian, or gone on to another home through adoption or foster care.  When I think of the animals that have touched my life, I think of my father's bassets and my mother and her  beautiful collies.  The lovely gray and white tabby cats, wonderful potbelly pigs, regal Old English Sheepdogs and many more who have influenced my life in powerful ways have helped to mold who I have become.

Suffering upsets me quite a bit.  It disturbs me far more to see suffering than to see death.  I'm not afraid to die.  I would miss those I love at this point in my life but I truly don't think it would devastate me.  I honor the life and death cycle.  I deeply believe that we are meant to live only as long as we are given, whatever time period that is.  I've known people and animals who've died early in life and then those who have had long, vibrant lives.  I don't feel cheated by their transitions.  I don't feel like they have left me.  I am grateful for their time in my life.

The deaths that have disturbed me the most are of those whose suffering has been long or those who have died suddenly by their own hand.  I still struggle to understand suffering and its purpose in life.  For now, I choose to honor the path that is unfolding in my life which ultimately I believe will have a balance of all things good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment