Thursday, February 5, 2015

Am I really crazy?

The movie "Gaslight" was adapted from the UK version "The Murder in Thornton Square" which shows psychological manipulation now known as gaslighting.  Dr. Robin Norwood's book "The Gaslight Effect" describes people who frequently fall victim to this behavior as bright, naive, kind, loving people.  Because the behavior often begins in a very subtle manner, the person is often overwhelmed before they realize what is happening to them.  Those who engage in gaslighting are often people who fit criteria or at least the traits of those who have Axis II or personality disorders such as antisocial, narcissistic, borderline among others.  These people are inherently wired to behave in a manipulative fashion.  Most of the time, they are not fully aware of their behavior or if they are seem quite unable to change it.  This could be due to chemical, social, or physical effects present in and around them.

John Bradshaw, noted addictions counselor and educator, often used a mobile to describe family dynamics.  His premise was that if one part of the mobile moved, then all the rest of the parts would be affected.  This observation is very relevant to me.  Lots of theories and observations are very narrow in scope.  Life is not narrow and our experiences are multifaceted.  Because of Mr. Bradshaw's observations, it's very clear to me that we are all made up of lots of different energies and when we interact with one another they are magnified.  So for example, when I was growing up I had lots of dynamics at play.  I was my mother's third child, my father's only child, my parents were older, much older, when I was born.  My mother was 41 and my dad was 48.  That in and of itself could set up a cascade for lots of issues.  Throw in that like most families, mine had their own dysfunctions and trauma, and I have a genetic deletion along with early physical trauma and there is the beginning of a fast moving mobile.

I was raised in a very rural area with very limited opportunities for healthy interaction and I became very withdrawn.  My sadness and isolation only grew in intensity until I began high school.  It wasn't until then when I began to meet other people who I connected with and truly enjoyed being around.  The last semester of my senior year of high school I was forced to limit my classes and begin taking courses through a junior college.  That shift along with breaking up with a long time friend/boyfriend caused a huge upheaval in my world.  Without the support I needed, I headed into my first unhealthy relationship.  The young man who behaved as a small child fit almost every descriptor for a sociopath.  My naive background did not prepare me for his host of tricks.  I am so grateful that the Divine intervened and our relationship was cut short with him going off to prison.  My family, and my uncle in particular, could not understand how I could possibly get involved with the likes of him.  What my uncle didn't realize was that I genuinely wanted to help this boy and that no amount of logical reasoning from my aunts was going to replace the loving words this person gave me.  Whether he meant them or not was irrelevant.  I so desperately wanted and needed to hear them.

After several kind but unsatisfying relationships, I did well in college and still had my battles with very deep depression.  I had no idea of my significant visual spatial impairments, dyslexia or the damage to my parietal lobes.  I was still searching to understand my past and my ever frequent dissociation based drowsiness.  By the time I was ready to leave New Jersey, I was pretty overwhelmed.  I had a long stack of grief, depression that needed medication to stabilize, and neurological issues that were getting more pronounced as I grew older.  When I met my ex-husband, he seemed like a genuinely nice man.  He was bright and although rather quiet, he appeared to have a kind heart and a generous spirit.  What I didn't know was how dark his internal world was.  After years of being away from him, I am more fully realizing how challenged he was and how much he had been engaging in gaslighting.  I began the relationship tired but still young enough to have fire to fight the good fight.  By the end of 11 years, I was drained, exhausted and emotionally devastated.

Since that time, I have found a deep love for writing and seeing the world through a much more spiritual lens.  My current relationship is not without issues but it is genuine, honest, kind and sincerely loving.  Faith and connection have set the stage for my healing.  Finding out how compromised my neurological system is hitting me very hard.  Realizing how much grief, betrayal, trauma and dysfunction has affected me is still rocking my world.

Dr. Norwood talks about how gaslighting doesn't happen to people because they are stupid or foolish.  Rather it's often because they are kind and loving people who want to see the best in others.  Gaslighting can be very subtle or downright obvious, especially to those on the outside of the relationship.  Finding trust and integrity in a world that can often appear to have none is a real challenge for me each day.

My energy levels, disabilities, trauma, and healing are guideposts that I sometimes still bump into when I least expect it.  It's my hope that as we reflect back on our lives that we can see the good with the bad and come away from it knowing that our lives are very multidimensional and that just like John Bradshaw's mobile, they shift and re-balance often throughout our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment